Poetry - Short Stories - Theatre - Photography - Drawing - Painting- Sculpture - Music - Essays - Video - Film - Published and unpublished works - Special prizes for schools and pupils
1. Anyone, whether or not they are a Gypsy/Traveller, can enter this competition. Entries will be accepted in Romani, English, French, Italian and Spanish.
2. Entries must be sent in a single parcel (as indicated for each section - see below), by registered post, not later than 31/08/2021 to : Santino Spinelli, President Thèm Romanó Association Via S. Maria Maggiore 12 66034 Lanciano (Chieti) Italy
or sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. The identity of the members of the international Panel of Judges will be made publicon the occasion of the Prize-Giving Ceremony, which will take place on 03/10/2021 The Panel's decisions are final.
4. The Panel's decisions, and the names of the winners, will be published in "Thém Romanò".
5. Authors submitting previously unpublished works to this competition thereby grant the organisers permission to include these, free of charge, in an Anthology to be translated into different languages.
6. The competition is open to all kinds of schools, public and private, and to their pupils. The pupil(s)' name(s), class and school, the school's address and the name(s) of the teacher(s) initiating participation in this competition, must be clearly written on the work.
7. Contributors may enter as many times as they like, in as many different sections and categories as they like. Contributors must pay the required entrance fee for each entry.
8. Any entry which does not relate to the specified theme will be disqualified. The entry fee will not be refunded.
9. Prize-winners must collect their prizes in person.
10. The competition is sub-divided into the following sections and categories :
This section covers previously unpublished works. Entries in categories A, B and C must be sent in 6 typewritten copies; entries in categories D, E and F in one copy only. One copy of each entry must include the author's name, address, nationality, telephone number, curriculum vitae ("CV") in an international language, photograph and signature.
Category A : Poetry in Standard Romani or in any dialect of Romani (please specify which), on any topic. Up to three poems may be submitted as a single entry. Poems may not be longer than 50 lines. Each must be accompanied by a translation into English, French, Italian or Spanish.
Category B : Poetry in English, French, Italian or Spanish on any aspect of the Gypsy/Traveller world : an historical event, a Gypsy/Traveller woman or man whether famous or not, a personal experience, a personal opinion, etc. Up to three poems may be submitted as a single entry. Poems may not be longer than 50 lines.
Category C : A brief short story, on any aspect of the Gypsy/Traveller world (see Cat. B above). The work, in Romani, English, French, Italian or Spanish, must not be longer than 2 typewritten pages (one page = 30 lines of 60 characters : 1,800 characters per page). Works in Romani must be accompanied by a translation into one of the other named languages.
Category D : A previously unpublished theatrical work on the theme of the Gypsy/Traveller world (see Cat. B above). No limitations as to length. The winning entry will be performed on the occasion of the 9th "Princkarang - Let's Get to Know Each Other" Encounter with Gypsy Culture, which will also include the Prize-Giving Ceremony for the "Gypsy Friend" Arts Competition.
Category E : A longer prose work (no limitations as to length) on the theme of the Gypsy/Traveller world (see Cat. B above).
Category F : A monograph or graduation thesis on some aspect of the Gypsy/Traveller world : history, language, traditions, music etc.
Photographs, paintings, drawings and sculptures of all kinds, in any style or technique, will be accepted in this section. Each work must have a title and show a moment of Gypsy/Traveller life, a Gypsy/Traveller man or woman, famous or not, a typical Gypsy/Traveller activity, etc. Reproductions of the best entries will be included in the Anthology arising out of the Fourth "Gypsy Friend"
Arts Competition, and will be exhibited at a major international art show. Each work must be accompanied by the artist's name, address, nationality, telephone number, Curriculum Vitae ("CV") in an international language, photograph and signature. Works must arrive in good condition, so please pack with care.
Category G : Previously unpublished drawing(s), which may be the work of one person or (a) collective effort(s), in one copy only. Up to three drawings may be submitted as a single entry. Drawings must be titled, and may not be bigger than 100 cm x 70 cm.
Category H :Previously unpublished photographs, in colour or black and white. Up to five photographs may be submitted as a single entry. Photographs must be titled. Two copies of each photograph must be submitted, one of 20 cm x 30 cm, the other of 30 cm x 45 cm.
Category I : Paintings or sculptures, or photographs of paintings or sculptures, may be submitted, accompanied by a brief statement outlining title, technique, style, materials, dimensions etc.
This section covers works (studies, research dossiers, literary and artistic works etc.) about the Gypsy/Traveller world published since 1986 in one of the languages accepted by the competition. Entries must be sent in one copy, and include the author's name, address, nationality, telephone number, curriculum vitae ("CV") in an international language, photograph and signature, as well as the year of publication.
Category L : A book of poetry in Romani or in any other language, but with at least two poems about the Gypsy/Traveller world.
Category M : A short story (if published in a collection, then at least one story in the collection must focus on the Gypsy/Traveller world) or a novel (with at least one chapter focussing on the Gypsy/Traveller world).
Category N : A theatrical work including at least one act or scene focussing on or inspired by the Gypsy/Traveller world.
Category O : A monograph or graduation thesis on some aspect of the Gypsy/Traveller world : history, language, traditions, music etc.
Category P : Music from, or inspired by, the Gypsy/Traveller world, on CD, cassette, record, sheet music etc. Both published and unpublished works will be accepted in this category. Winners will have an opportunity to perform at the International Festival of Gypsy Music that will take place at the conclusion of the Prize-Giving Ceremony.
Category Q : Videos (VHS system only), films, documentaries etc. about the Gypsy/Traveller world. Entries must be submitted in one copy. The best entries will be shown as part of the "Prin©karang - Let's Get to Know Each Other" Encounter with Gypsy Culture (international art show).
To the winner in each category, a personalised trophy and diploma.
From among these category winners, a single overall winner will also be selected.
Winners of the Second Prize in each category will receive personalised trophies and diplomas. Winners of Third Prize in each category will receive personalised prizes and diplomas. There will also be many Special Prizes : Special Schools Prizes (to schools, pupils, and teachers), Artistic Career Prizes, the 2021 Phralipé Prize, Romanì Excellence, etc.
The entrance fee is FREE for all categories.
Winners will be announced on television and throughout the specialist national (Italian) and international press.
To make the Judges' work easier, please don't wait till the last moment to send your entries!